Solar printing for kids
This FREE Children’s Week activity is presented by SHIFT in partnership with the Victorian Government.
In this fun workshop, children will learn how to harness the power of the sun to create a totally unique sun print.
***Note, children must be accompanied by a parent.***
The activity includes:
- designing a pattern on a piece of recycled material using items found in nature
- harnessing the energy from the sun to make a botanical sun-print using a vintage ‘camera-less’ photographic process
- discussing ways to use the printed fabric
- learning about the sun and the many different ways it can support us, our lifestyle and life on the planet
- learning about textiles, the epic textile waste problem, and some of the things we can do to help reduce it.
Please note: This activity uses non-toxic dyes that WILL NOT wash off clothing. We recommend children wear old clothing or a smock. Staining of hands may occur, but the dye will fade in a day or two.
Presented by SHIFT and A Fitting Connection
Katrina and the team from A Fitting Connection have over 20 years experience in fashion and textile design and production. They have a passion for sustainable fashion and raising awareness of the growing problem around textile waste. Their workshops help people reduce their clothes consumption by reinvigorating wardrobes and giving items new life as upcycled gifts and accessories.